Moving to a new country is a great opportunity to pack your bags with some fresh resolve and leave your bad habits and old baggage behind. The fact is that every New Year, millions of people are brimming with resolve as December 31st rolls around, setting goals for the year ahead and concocting grand schemes for the changes they intend to make. Yet by January 31st, only one month later, less than 10% of all these people have turned their resolutions into a reality.
While change is difficult, behavior experts claim that moving to new surroundings has the potential to not only influence who we are, but can help us become the people we want to be. If you are moving to a new country, the change in culture and routine might be just the impetus you need to create the lifestyle you want and to make this the year your New Year’s Resolutions come true.
Statistically, the most common year-end resolutions have to do with one of four categories: weight-related issues, financial issues, self-improvement, and relationships. We resolve to eat healthier, exercise more, drop harmful habits, learn something new, strengthen relationships, and more. Furthermore, moving to a new country has its own set of inherent goals, such as making new friends, building a new business (or managing your existing business across the miles), settling your kids into new schools, and of course, trying to enjoy the whole process and make the most of your relocation experience.
So how can you use the New Year and your new place to set you up for success? Here are some ideas on how to make positive changes happen in your life during the months ahead.
- Move to a location with resources that match your interests and talents.
- Set up a supportive environment: The right setting and the right people are a powerful tool in helping you stick to your resolve and make your goals come true.
- Enlist the aid of family and friends, hire life coach or personal trainer, start writing a blog, etc.
- Take a walk on the wild side: Moving is a great opportunity to break out of your shell and try something you’ve never done before – whether it’s a new hobby, a new sport, a new craft, joining a new group, public speaking, and more. You can literally re-invent yourself if you want to, or at the very least open yourself up to a new experience. In fact, you might be pleasantly surprised by what you find!
- Leave old grudges behind: To forgive and forget is a virtue, but not all of us have the strength and courage it takes to turn over a new leaf. Relocating may be just what the doctor ordered in order to let go of the past and move onto a brighter tomorrow.
- Connect to your core values: Real happiness comes from deep within rather than from superficial exteriors. Use your move abroad as an opportunity to ‘walk your talk’ and start living in accordance with your core beliefs and values.
- Take some time to learn what mistakes you should avoid when moving overseas.
- One resolution at a time: Even the most experienced climbers ascend Mount Rushmoreone step a time; being ambitious is great, but if you really want to pursue your goals with a laser-like focus rather than see them fizzle out, take baby steps as your build your way toward incremental success.
At NYShipping we think that moving to a new country can be a fun experience beyond its difficulty. Planning your relocation ahead of time is key and we recommend you start looking for shipping services at least 3 months before the big move. Just visit our site to get a free estimate and all the information you need about shipping and more.