Are you moving to Portugal from New York? If you are relocating from the Tri-state area to Lisbon or any other city in Portugal, we provide door to door service and take care of your move.
Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. We’d love to make your move to/from Portugal as seamless and stress-free as possible.
We have a free estimate form that allows you to calculate the cost.
We have a lot of experience moving and relocating people to/from Portugal and would love to assist you.
With a global network of international relocation agents, NY International Shipping successfully performs overseas relocations all around the world for individuals, families and corporate employees. Every client is treated with attentive, respectful care and all of our overseas shipments receive careful handling. If this is your first international move you probably have a lot of questions and concerns, so we’re here to put your mind at ease. Continue reading for more information or contact us for a FREE overseas moving quote!
Overview on a Season Overseas Moving Company
If this is your first time searching for an overseas moving company, you may be unsure of what to look for. It is sometimes difficult to look through all of the colorful ads and claims, but it’s important that whomever you choose to handle your overseas relocation stands behind the promises they make. Try to find a company with a history of excellent, reliable service, professional, experienced staff and a network of overseas shipping agents all over the world. The best way to figure out just how experienced and professional an overseas moving company is, is to do a bit of research. We suggest looking at the company from several different angles. NY International Shipping has found that it is helpful to look at the following:
1. Appropriate Licenses – Make sure any overseas moving companies you are considering are licensed as an NVOCC (Non-Vessel Operating Common Carrier) by the Federal Maritime Commission or FMC, licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and possess appropriately licensed and bonded warehouses for storing your things before or after moving to Portugal.
2. Rate Comparison – NY International Shipping has found that it’s best to perform an apples-to-apples comparison of the rates of any prospective companies. This is done by comparing international relocation rates from overseas moving companies based on identical details – shipping the same volume of goods using the same exact shipping service on the same dates and from and to the same destinations. This will give you an accurate idea as to how they compare side by side. Remember, reputation and experience are just as important as finding an overseas moving company within your budget. You can always reduce your overseas shipment or choose a less expensive shipping method, allowing you to choose the overseas moving company of your choice.
3. Reputation – It’s always a good idea to check each overseas moving company’s referrals and reputation. Ask each company you are considering for referrals or references from past clients—any reputable overseas moving company should have some for your review. Also, try checking third-party review sites for reviews from previous clients on their experience with the company’s service. Sites such as Yelp! can be very helpful when assessing an overseas moving company’s professionalism prior to using them for moving to Portugal.
4. In-person Visit – Visit the brick and mortar office of any overseas moving companies you are considering to see how they conduct themselves in person. Never trust an international moving company without a physical office!
5. Affiliations – It is important that any overseas moving company you choose has the proper industry connections and affiliations. Simply ask the overseas company to provide a list of some of these organizations. NY International Shipping is a member of or affiliated with:
a. Employee Relocation Council/Worldwide ERC®
b. Foreign Commerce Club of New York
c. IAM (International Association of Movers)
d. NY/NJ Foreign Freight Forwarders & Brokers Association Inc.
e. YP 25 (Young International Movers)
What to Expect After Moving to Portugal from New York
If you’re moving to Portugal you’re probably curious to learn a bit more about the country you will call home. Located on the Iberian Peninsula in Southwest Europe, Portugal offers a multitude of opportunities, a growing economy and varying climates in the north and south. Portugal is split by the Tagus, with the north featuring mountains and plateaus and the south featuring sprawling plains with warmer weather. Portugal has many natural parks and conservation areas. Both the flora and fauna are abundant and varied in Portugal, so you’ll have plenty to see after moving to Portugal. The country of Portugal follows one religion—Catholicism—and the official language is Portuguese. It is definitely a good idea to learn at least some Portuguese prior to moving to Portugal as it may be difficult to assimilate to the culture otherwise. If you are able to learn basic phrases in Portuguese, you may find it is easier to get around and meet people. The capital of Portugal is Lisbon, which is Portugal’s largest city. Lisbon is certainly the wealthiest area of Portugal and the standard of living there is quite high. If you’re moving to Portugal and would like mild, temperate weather then Lisbon might be the place for you! Not only is Lisbon pleasant when it comes to the weather, but it is a beautiful city full of lovely architecture, museums and opera houses. Before moving to Portugal it is a good idea to contact your local Portuguese Consulate to discuss the different types of visas available. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to have your visa processed as it can take quite a long time. Also, you may want to discuss the best way to exchange your currency as the currency in Portugal is the Euro like much of Europe.
If you would like to begin scheduling moving to Portugal, please contact us, we’d love to hear from you!