Are you moving to New Zealand from New York? If you are relocating from the Tri-state area to Wellington, Auckland or any other city in NZ, we provide door to door service and take care of your move.
- Residence Visa
- Detailed inventory (stating contents of each container)
- Proof of Residence
- Customs declaration
- Proof of employment
- Proof of transfer of funds to New Zealand
Used Household Goods: Duty-free if the customer intends to be a permanent resident of New Zealand, has lived outside New Zealand for a minimum of 21 months and goods are intended for personal use
If Shipped Prior to Customer’s Arrival: Customs will require a sight entry. Shipments will be inspected by customs and require a customs duty deposit on the insured value until the customer arrives in New Zealand.
Fumigation: May be required for some shipments. Charges billed to the customer’s account.
Remarks: Customer presence required in New Zealand for clearance through customs.
Restrictions and Dutiable Products
New Items: Subject to duty
Alcohol and Tobacco: Often imported duty- and tax-free if shipped as part of normal household contents or a collector’s cellar if shipper is first-time immigrant or returning New Zealand national (having been away for 21 months or more)
Radio Transmitters: May not comply with New Zealand radio frequency service
Firearms and Ammunition: Controlled and Police Permit is required. Must also meet the following criteria:
- Packed separately, individually listed on inventory, and easily accessible in shipping containers
- Shipper must contact New Zealand Police upon arrival to acquire permits
- Small firearms and pistols are not permitted until customer registers with a gun club
- Semi-automatic military style firearms are not allowed
- Arms Permit and Registration Certificate that includes make, model and serial numbers are required
Agricultural Regulations: Applies to the following:
- All food
- Biological specimens
- Animals and plants along with their products (alive or daed)
The following items are prohibited:
- Canned/dried spices, meat, dairy, honey and egg products
- Bee keeping equipment
- Switchblades, swordsticks, and brass knuckles
- Drugs (medication may be permitted with doctor’s prescription and if in original container
- Pornographic materials (printed, video, etc.)
Restrictions: One vehicle may be imported and exempt from the requirement of an import license, tax or duty if the vehicle has been owned for a minimum of one (1) year prior to being shipped to New Zealand and will not be sold for minimum of two (2) years after. It must be meant for personal use, not as a gift, for sale, or to be disposed of. Vehicle must comply with New Zealand Ministry of Transport Vehicle Standard regulations. Prior written approval from the Ministry of Transport must be obtained for left-handed vehicles.
New Zealand Residents: Must pay customs duty and tax on all vehicles
Married Couples: Each spouse may import one vehicle if they each possess a valid driver’s license and can provide proof of ownership and use of the vehicle
- Proof of make, model, year and current value
- Valid driver’s license
- Certificate of steam cleaning
- Original bill of sale
- Registration and Insurance Certificate
- Log book of services and repairs
Remarks: All vehicles must steam cleaned prior to shipping to New Zealand
- Voltage 230 V
- Type I Australian plug
For more info visit the New Zealand Customs Website.