- Authorization letter allowing destination agent to see shipment through customs
- Inventory List
Duty-Free: Customer may declare one (1) air shipment and one (1) surface shipment when shipping to Hong Kong within six (6) months of the shipper’s import request being approved
Duty Applied: Any shipments after the first two (2) mentioned above incur full duty charges
Shipping via Air: Subject to physical inspections
Shipping via Land: Subject physical inspections at random
Remarks: In most cases the customer does not have to be present at customs for shipments to clear.
Restrictions and Dutiable Items
Alcohol, Tobacco and Perfume: Subject to duty
Products Made from Animal byproducts: certain goods made from fur, feathers, tusks, skins, ivory and some agriculture products require Exporting Country’s License, Certificate of Origin and an Import License—subject to inspection by Agrictulture and Fisheries Department of the Hong Kong Authorities
Radioactive substances and Pesticides: Restricted
The following items are prohibited from being shipped into Hong Kong:
- Narcotics and medications (exceptions made with copy of prescriptions)
- Trees, plants and vegetables (exceptions made with Phytosanitary Certificate and Import License)
- Uncooked poultry or meat
- Pornographic materials (printed, video, etc.)
- Materials that pose a threat or challenge to the government
- Weapons, fireworks, ammunition, clasp-knives, and explosives (subject to import license and control by police)
Moving to Hong Kong?
- Right-hand drive vehicles permitted only
- Some models not permitted
- High duties and taxes apply
- Must be owned for a minimum of six (6) months prior to shipping to Hong Kong
- Hong Kong insurance certificate
- Bill of sale and/or original purchase invoice
- Export License from country of origin stating chassis and engine number
- Deregistration certificate
- Registration certificate stating dimensions
- Authorization letter for shipping agent in Hong Kong to see vehicle through customs
- Emissions Texst Certificate (must be obtained prior to being shipped)
Remarks: Vehicles must be reported to Hong Kong’s Transport Department within fourteen (14) days of being shipped to the Hong Kong Transport Department Licensing Division
Quarantine: May be required based on country of origin and type of pet
- Health certificate from no longer than 14 days prior (must be endorsed by government-approved vet)
- Proof of rabies vaccination administered within thirty (30) days of departure, but no more than six (6) months prior
- Import Permit from Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (valid for 30 days from day it’s issued)
- Residence Certificate (endorsed by USDA/APHIS/VS)
- International Health Certificate (endorsed by USDA/APHIS/VS)
Remarks: Special permits must be gained prior to importation for some animals and birds. Quarantine length varies.
Providers: There are multiple internet providers in Hong Kong, including:
- Hong Kon Broadband
- Pacific Internet
- HGC Broadband
Requirements: In order to set up internet service, you will need the following:
- Hong Kong ID card
- Proof of residence
Remarks: It is important to note that internet activity is closely monitored. Some websites may be restricted.
- Voltage 220 V
- Type G British 3-pin plugs
- Type M South African plugs (occasionally found)
Remarks: Type M has been replaced by Type G, but Type M can still be found.
For any questions, please be in touch. We’d love to hear from you!
Are you moving to Hong Kong from New York? If you are relocating from the Tri-state area to Hong Kong, we provide door to door service and take care of your move.
Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. We’d love to make your move as seamless and stress-free as possible.
If you are looking for a free estimate, go here to calculate it.