Moving to Canada
So you’re moving to Canada, now what? Let NY International Shipping guide you through the steps of scheduling your overseas move from beginning to end. As a family-owned, professional overseas moving company that specializes in international moving, NY International Shipping has the experience and knowledge to ensure that your overseas move will be as stress-free and simple as possible. If this is your first time moving overseas you probably have many questions regarding how to find the right overseas moving company and what to expect when moving to Canada. Continue reading as NY International Shipping answers those questions and many more. Feel free to contact NY International Shipping at any time to receive a FREE overseas moving quote!
What to Expect When Moving to Canada
Our neighbor to the north, Canada is a large country with that spreads from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean in North America, north of the United States. Canada is composed of ten provinces and three territories—Yukon, Northwest Territories, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut, Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Canada’s climate and land is as varied as the people who live there, consisting of everything from mountain ranges to marshes. Many of Canada’s inhabitants and tourist partake in all that Canada’s wilderness has to offer, such as kayaking, hiking, camping, hunting, etc. Canadian wildlife is abundant and the land is gorgeous and varied. If you’re moving to Canada you will be happy to know that Canada is one of the wealthier countries in the world. Unique in comparison to other developed countries, logging and petroleum are two of the greatest supporting industries of Canada’s economy. Mining is yet another industry which supports Canada’s healthy economy. Many individuals turn to Canadian mined gems rather than precious stones mined elsewhere as they are conflict-free. Prior to moving to Canada it is important that you contact your local Canadian Consulate as there are several different visas and permits necessary for US Citizens to obtain who intend to live in Canada to work, study or become permanent citizens. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to deal with applying for your Canadian visa or passport as the processing time can be lengthy.
Steps to Finding the Right Overseas Moving Company
As this may be your first overseas moving experience, you may be unsure of exactly what to look for in an upstanding overseas moving company. When looking for an international moving company you want to make sure you hire a company that is specialized and knowledgeable in this specific area, experienced, well-networked and has a good reputation.
Here are some helpful steps on how to find the right overseas moving company:
1. Credentials – Make sure that the overseas moving company you choose for moving to Canada is licensed like NY International Shipping is as an NVOCC (Non-Vessel Operating Common Carrier) by the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC). Also, make sure that all possible international moving companies are licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) as well as possess appropriately licensed and bonded warehouses.
2. Reputation and Referrals – Review each company’s reputation and quality of service from several different angles. Try checking the professionalism of the company’s website, asking for referrals, checking third-party review sites, etc.
3. Affiliations and Memberships – Check to see what organizations each company is affiliated with or holds a membership to. Top companies in the industry like to remain on top of things by joining notable organizations related to the industry.
4. Pay Them a Visit – Consider paying a visit to each prospective company’s physical location. Not only is it important to make sure that they really exist, but it’s very different to see how a company works first-hand rather than remotely via phone and their website.
5. Compare Rates – Compare the rates of the overseas relocation companies at the top of your list. The best way to compare international moving rates is to gather quotes from the companies you are considering using the same variables
o same shipping volume
o same shipping service
o same origin location and destination
This will give you an accurate view of how each company compares to the others you are considering. Remember, it may be worth going with a slightly more expensive overseas moving company if they have a better reputation and more services to offer. You can always discuss alternate shipping methods such shipping as by ocean or you can try reducing the volume of your shipment to stay within budget.
Contact NY International Shipping at [number] or fill out our online contact form if you have any questions or wish to begin scheduling moving to Canada.