Now that you’re moving overseas, one of the most important things you’ll be discovering is new food. Depending on your tastes – and your sense of adventure – you will have an exciting gastronomic experience touring the restaurants and eateries of your new city and region. Don’t be too locked in to just visiting well-known restaurants in the city when living abroad: get out into the countryside, find villages and “hole-in-the-wall” restaurants. That’s where you’ll probably find the most amazing – and ethnically authentic – dishes and snacks.
Just about everyone likes seeing pictures of what other people are eating, so I’ve developed this Foodstagrammer’s guide to the most popular foods from around the world found on Instagram. Some of the results will surprise you; people are branching out of their traditional epicurean comfort zones, and food is becoming truly international. But ALL of them will get your mouth watering for a taste.
Ready? Here goes…
1. Bangkok: The most Instagrammed macaroons are from Bangkok, not Paris…. Yes, really. Bangkok and Seoul account for more than 15% of all macaroon pictures found on Instagram.
2. London: It looks like the Brits are finally getting a taste of tantalizing slow-cooked piquant fare from the American South. Pulled pork is an Instagram favorite with 7.5% of all pulled pork pix coming from the UK. Brits are also getting into burgers. Londoners account for 5% of burger pictures on Instagram. London also seems to fancy burritos as photo subjects, putting it ahead of San Francisco and San Diego.
3. Tokyo: Want to take guess? No, not sushi. It’s curry. Tokyo and Osaka are responsible for more than 15% of the world’s “curry-grams”.
4. New York: While Boston is known as “Bean Town”, it looks like New York is becoming “Baconville”. More than 8% of bacon tags come from New York. The Big Apple also takes the top spot for crisp-crunchy empanadas and for the spicy Jamaican Jerk Chicken. And of course, let’s not forget pizza, which was photographed in New York even more than in Naples or Rome.
5. Melbourne: Thanks to their vibrant Vietnamese community, nearly 9% of all Bahn Mi pictures come from Melbourne. Bahn Mi is a type of baguette filled with all sorts of delicious ingredients like meat, pickled vegetables, and chili peppers.
6. Los Angeles: LA has stolen the sushi show from Japan. The west coast far outranked Tokyo for all #sushi photos.
7. Singapore: This is such a cosmopolitan city, with so many cultures intermingling that it is no surprise that Churros, that sweet Spanish snack has made it to the top of the list from this city-state.
8. Sydney: Pierogi, Polish or Eastern European dumplings filled with potato, sauerkraut or ground meat, are highly popular for Instragrammers “Down Under”.
9. Montreal: Poutine is a staple in Canada. It is a dish consisting of French fries, cheese curds, and gravy, and seems to only be popular on Instagram in its home country. Montreal takes the top spot on Instagram for photographing this food, and the other four top cities are all in Canada, too.